Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

If there ever were two books that totally consumed me for over twenty-four hours, these were it!  I am so glad to have finished the second one - it really is a huge credit to an author who can pump out a second one that is as good as, if not better than the first.  Huge Gayle Forman fan right now!

I know, these novels have been out on the YA circuit for a while now - but my teacher book club is just reading them and they were totally worth the wait!

About the Novel:

It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.

My Thoughts:

Gayle Forman really hit this out of the park - the companion novel to If I Stay is a winner and it is so amazing to be able to switch perspectives totally and get the other side of the coin.

Throughout both novels, but especially this one, I was rooting for this couple - Adam and Mia.  Beyond the love story, this author really does know how to impart the maximum amount of emotion into each word that she writes.  As I was reading, I was feeling every ounce of heartache right along with them both and while I may not have understood every character's motivations the author made me want to root for them both still.

Additionally, I am amazed at how nicely this novel came together...how the ending truly did match the journey and while nothing was "perfect" as in those cliche romance novels, it was perfect for these two characters that she created.

I only wish I had another journey to go on with them but on the flip side these two novels were so good I am satisfied knowing these characters came full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment