Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Power of a Library Card

Long before we are able to apply for that credit card, sign up for a bank account, or even apply for one of those thousands of cards that save us dollars and pennies at CVS, Walgreens, or Rite Aid, we are able to get our hands on perhaps the most beneficial card of all…the library card.

With this card opens thousands of doors, some more literal than others. I remember fondly the day I finally got my own, finally coming out of that shell of dependence, even if just a little. The card was so inconsequential in the whole scheme of life, but it was so monumental in that moment they handed it to me. I, like most young people, was striving to become more and more independent and being able to check out my OWN books in my OWN name was a huge step.

Library cards are the perfect way to start out…especially since they are a mere dollar at most public libraries to replace if lost. If it were up to me, my son of three would already have his own, but apparently you have to be able to sign your name in order to get one. I will get working on that skill ASAP!

That small seemingly inconsequential card opens up worlds of opportunities for us in the present, and the future. I think many who are reading this blog find nothing better than being anywhere where there are lots of books. Any card that is a way into a place like that must be worth it. In addition to providing the atmosphere, the library card enables us to travel all over the world, through different time periods, and into different characters’ lives and hearts – all through the pages of books. What a wonder to have so many books at your fingertips that you could never read them all.

I encourage all of you to continue to support your local libraries. I donate books for their local sales, we recently donated Melissa and Doug wooden puzzles to their children’s section, and the best support of all – our continued patronage. And pass on the love of libraries and library cards to your children…the love of reading is proven to be the best gift you can give them.

No comments:

Post a Comment