Saturday, February 11, 2012

Down the Mysterly River: A Review

It is books such as this that are dragging me slowly but sure into the realm of young adult fantasy.  If you are into this genre, have young kids, or teach kids this is a book you will want to add to your classroom library.  Our teacher book club read this as our young adult selection last month and there wasn't one of us who didn't adore it!

About the Novel:

Down the Mysterly River is the children’s book debut of Bill Willingham, the creator of the #1 New York Times bestselling graphic novel series Fables. Complete with illustrations by Fables artist Mark Buckingham, it is a spirited, highly original tale of adventure, suspense, and everlasting friendship.

Max “the Wolf” is a top notch Boy Scout, an expert at orienteering and a master of being prepared. So it is a little odd that he suddenly finds himself, with no recollection of his immediate past, lost in an unfamiliar wood. Even odder still, he encounters a badger named Banderbrock, a black bear named Walden, and McTavish the Monster (who might also be an old barn cat)—all of whom talk—and who are as clueless as Max.

Before long, Max and his friends are on the run from a relentless group of hunters and their deadly hounds. Armed with powerful blue swords and known as the Blue Cutters, these hunters capture and change the very essence of their prey. For what purpose, Max can’t guess. But unless he can solve the mystery of the strange forested world he’s landed in, Max may find himself and his friends changed beyond recognition, lost in a lost world…  

My Thoughts:

The first thing that struck me about this book was the cover - it is absolutely beautiful, and it clearly will catch readers' attention...it caught mine.

This book is fantasy to the max and I loved every minute of it.  Max was a top notch character and I loved following him throughout this book.  He would not have been half as entertaining without his two friends Walden and McTavish, who in my opinion add so much humor to this book that it is hard to put it down.  I found myself laughing out loud at their arguments and re-reading them for another laugh.

I loved the mystery of the Eggman and who he ended up being - I think the idea of his character was tremendously creative and well thought out. 

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the illustrations - they are absolutely amazing and stunning.  My boys ages 2 & 3 loved looking at them and this book was way above their level!  In fact, I think they are some of the best illustrations I have ever seen in a young adult novel.

This is a book that I will treasure and make sure my own kids read...it is a great find and I commend the author and illustrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment