Saturday, July 16, 2011

Steadily Reading Saturday...

Steadily Reading Saturday is a weekly meme hosted here to highlight what it is that we are spending our weekends steadily reading.

Currently, I am steadily reading The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly. This has not been a "quick" read for me, but it is a great book. I have had a lot going on outside of my "reading" time, so I haven't had a lot of time but I anticipate finishing it soon!

The summer of 1899 is hot in Calpurnia Virginia Tate's sleepy Texas town, and there aren't a lot of good ways to stay cool. Her mother has a new wind machine from town, but Callie might just have to resort to stealthily cutting off her hair, one sneaky inch at a time. She also spends a lot time at the river with her notoriously cantankerous grandfather, an avid naturalist. It turns out that every drop of river water is teeming with life - all you have to do is look through a microscope!

As Callie explores the natural world around her, she develops a close relationship with her grandfather, navigates the dangers of living with six brothers, and comes up against just what it means to be a girl at the turn of the century.


Historical fiction is my favorite genre, so this book is right up my alley...it kind of reminds me of another title that I read this year, Deadly by Julie Chibbaro. Love them both!

What are you steadily reading this Saturday?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not so steadily reading A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. I hope to finally finish it this weekend, though! Enjoy your weekend.

    -Miss GOP
    www.thewritingapprentice.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lindsay! Calpurnia looks like my kind of girl. I'll have to give it a read. I'm reading an ARC book now and then I would like to turn to my growing list of TBR.

    ReplyDelete