Monday, November 28, 2011

Featured Author: G.G. Vandagriff

Boy is it special to be able to feature an author and her work not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES! I am delighted to share her with you and to be able to get to know her better through this interview. She is amazing, and you will want to get your hands on her work as soon as possible!  Many thanks go out to Nurture Your Books Virtual Book Tourz for allowing me to participate in this tour.

 Visit G.G. Vandagriff on the web HERE
Visit G.G. Vandagriff on Facebook HERE

G.G. Vandagriff is the author of the following novels:

 Author Interview:

1. Describe what it’s like to be an author in three words. 

It is stimulating.

2. What is your favorite genre of literature? 

It changes.  At this very moment it is Women’s Fiction (because I just finished The Only Way to Paradise, Women’s Fic.) However, on Monday it will probably change to Historical Romance as I work on my next book.

3. At what point in your life did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

I told stories with crayon pictures before I could write right. To the best of my recollection I was four, and living in a dysfunctional family, surviving by dissociating from reality into my fantasy world where people were nice.

4. What would you consider to be the best book you have ever read? 

Anna Karenina

5. What is it that you like to do when you’re not reading/writing? 

Travel and experience different cultures, preferably Italian.

6. How do you react to a bad review of your book? 

I usually write the reviewer (if I feel their criticisms were justified), thank them, and try to do better.

7. Are the names of the characters in your novels important?  How and why? 

Names are very important because they are the first bit of characterization that comes to you about a character.  I absolutely had to change MacKenzie’s husband’s name in Paradise.  It had bad vibes for my best friend (her first husband’s name) and therefore for me.  I changed the name to Kurt, with careful consideration. He is the Richard Armitage strong, silent type, so that was perfect.   Roxie is my favorite character in Paradise, and her name is the same as my beloved, nutty grandmother’s.  I know Nana would have adored Roxie!

8. Who would play you in a film of your life? 


My life has been so crazy and melodramatic that no one would believe it unless it were dramatized by a really fine actress such as a young Meryl Streep or Gwenyth Paltrow.

9. What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer? Good question! 


1.) Someone to support you financially and emotionally.  Writers hardly ever make enough money, and they’re usually “a little touched in their upper works.” I’m bi-polar, so the second is especially important. 2.) Good critics who you can trust to tell you the truth. 3.) A great massage chair (I won one!) or masseuse (I have that too) 4.) If you have children, it is preferable if they are grown up.  5.) A whacky sense of humor and plenty of reasons to laugh. 6.) At least one hour of brainless television per night. 7.) A book to read that isn’t anything like what you are attempting to write. 8.) Someone’s shoulder to cry on 9.) A schedule. 10.) Adderall.

10. Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or movie?  


There is no one out there that is either as crazy or complex as I am.  I should be a tragic figure, but fate has been kind and I am very blessed.  Know anyone like that?

3 comments:

  1. Loved the Interview! Love the 10 attributes to staying sane.......#4 Having your children preferably grown, is a great answer! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Interview! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete