Saturday, January 14, 2012

Inside the Spaghetti Bowl by Frank Zaccari: Review

I was able to feature Inside the Spaghetti Bowl recently on my blog as part of a tour but I am even more delighted to be able to share it again with my blog readers - it is an endearing tale that will warm the heart of any reader.  Frank Zaccari does a phenomenal job showcasing his family history and this is a novel that will leave you thinking a little bit about your own.

About the Novel:
 
Like many of the “baby boomers” my family faced the difficult task of burying our Mother. The book is based on the last eight days of our mother's life. It is a celebration of life, family, culture and tradition. As my relatives came to pay their last respects, we heard so many wonderful stories about the trials and sacrifices made by our parents and grandparents so we could live the American dream. This is our story, this is your story. It is a story for every beating heart that has loved or has been loved. It is the story about the struggles and pains endured by those virtuous individuals who poured their lives into ours and filled our years with intimate memories and a gladdened heart. It is the story you will want to pass down to your children and grandchildren. This is a book about family and unconditional love through the good times and bad. It is about a family who is and always will be there for each other no matter what. We hope you see your family in this book and the memories make you smile.

My Thoughts:

As I mentioned above I adored this book - it really did capture my heart in a lot of ways and I highly recommend it to others.  Zaccari absolutely believes in honoring his family and their stories and traditions and it is just heartwarming.  I felt myself sitting at his dinner table listening to these tales firsthand.

The poem on the dedication page really caught my attention and I just have to share:

"And when you remember me: 
remember me laughing not crying, 
remember me singing not sighing, 
remember me living not dying; 
or don't remember me at all."

The entire book followed along those lines and it was great to read - there were so many emotions that this book evoked as I read it, laughter, sadness, compassion, and even a few "shake my head" kind of moments and I realized just how important family is to this author, that much was made crystal clear.  What a fantastic way to tribute those who came before you and those who you love.  

I also enjoyed Zaccari's writing style, it was perfect for telling this story.  I highly recommend this read, you won't be disappointed and it just may inspire you to set out recording your own family's stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment