Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Characters from Young Adult Fiction Novels

Below is my list of the top ten characters I love from young adult fiction novels...they are in no particular order, I love them all equally!

1) Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games. Katniss is such a strong-willed character and she is always in survival mode.

2) The BFG from The BFG. I really have always loved this character, and the whole book for that matter - he is such a lovable guy, and he really makes the book.

3) Isabel from Chains and Forge. I fell in love with her because she endured so much throughout the two historical novels. I look forward to reading more about her in the third book of the trilogy Ashes.

4. Scarlett O'Hara from Gone With the Wind. What self-respecting southern lady doesn't love her? "Great balls of fire. Don't bother me anymore, and don't call me sugar." (I know, technically this isn't young adult literature, but I just had to add her to the list!)

5. Piper from The Girl Who Could Fly. Piper is another strong-willed character but what charmed me so much was her adorable "Southern" sayings. "Well, butter my biscuits."

6. Cassie from Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. Cassie reminds me a lot of Isabel from Chains because she is being brought up in a very loving home, but in a time of turmoil she must endure and persevere.

7. Matty from The Messenger. This is the third book in Lois Lowry's The Loose Trilogy. I loved it, and really found Matty captivating. It helps that this is an adventurous story as well so you really root for him.

8. Nissa from The Year of the Sawdust Man and Nissa's Place. Nissa is a lost and naive young girl who is left wondering where her mother disappeared to, and she sets out to uncover the mystery.

9. Audrey from Little Audrey. Audrey the author's older sister, and the novel is through her viewpoint of their childhood, or what the author would deduce her version of the story to be. Hardship would not even begin to describe what Audrey and the family endure while living in a coal mining camp in Virginia, but how she tells the story makes you feel as if you are right there in their little clapboard house with them.

10. Brian from Hatchet (and the entire series). I love this character, this series, and the premise of having to survive when thrown into the wild. I think Brian's character is so well-developed and he goes into even more uncharted territory in the books following Hatchet.


No comments:

Post a Comment