Thursday, April 14, 2011

Throwback Thursday - The BFG

I stole this idea from a new blog I am following, The Kindled Scholar (definitely check her out, awesome blog), and decided to share that I ALSO adore The BFG. It is my all-time FAVORITE children's book ever. So much so, that I just took my three-year old to see a live theater production of it.

The Big Friendly Giant (BFG) lives in the land among giants, and spends his days collecting dreams that he then puffs into rooms of sleeping children. The other giants are mean, and spend their nights running to different countries snatching small children from their sleeping beds and enjoying them as a midnight snack.

Sophie, an orphan, sees the BFG at her window one night and because seeing giants is strictly forbidden, the BFG takes her back with him to his home. She spends some time there, evading the other giants and listening to the BFG tell her all about his life.

When it is realized that the other mean giants intend on going into England (Sophie's home country) for their midnight snack, Sophie and the BFG devise a plan to alert the Queen of England.

The story ends with whether their plan was successful. I remember reading this story as a child and just feeling like I was right there with the BFG blowing dreams...and right there with Sophie, riding in the BFG's big ears as he ran across the plains.

But let's be honest, so much of Roald Dahl's work is awesome...here are a few of my favorites.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so flattered! I'm glad you liked the idea. Thanks for mentioning me in your post.

    I would love to see a theater production of this. I'm glad you posted The Witches, too. Totally forgot about that one! I'm inspired to re-read them now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read BFG or the Witches. I just ordered from Amazon, so Cooper and I can read them together! Any other recommendations?

    ReplyDelete