Friday, June 24, 2011

Author Spotlight - Katrina Parker Williams

I have had the recent pleasure of "meeting" a fabulous author who I am very excited about sharing with you. Katrina Parker Williams is the author of works such as "Missus Buck," Trouble Down South and Other Stories, and Liquor House Music.

The following is taken from her website:

Katrina Parker Williams teaches English composition and grammar at a community college. She is a Barton College graduate with a B.S. in Communications and a Masters of Education in English from East Carolina University. She is also the author of a fictional novel titled Liquor House Music. Her works have appeared in Charlotte Viewpoint, Muscadine Lines, Usadeepsouth, and on the Wilson Community College website. Her writings have recently been published at The Saints’ Placenta, All Things Girl, Dead Mule School of Southern Literature, Pens on Fire, and Muscadine Lines.

I had the recent pleasure of reading "Missus Buck" and her collection of short stories "Trouble Down South and Other Stories" and speaking with Mrs. Williams recently:

Describe what it is like to be an author in three words.
It is fabulous!

What is your favorite genre of literature?
Historical fiction

At what point in your life did you realize that you wanted to be an author?
In 1997 I fell ill and decided then that if I did not do what I always dreamed of, I may never get the chance. I had written several short stories but never submitted them for publication. I sent them out, a few were published, and from then on I knew I wanted to write.

What would you consider to be the best book you have ever written?
I think Trouble Down South and Other Stories is my best. I spent a lot of time researching for many of the stories to ensure they were historically accurate - even though it is fiction.

Describe the process of getting a book self-published.
I went through Amazon's self-publishing website. There is a step-by-step instruction manual telling you how to upload your book to the Mobi format so that it reads accurately on the Kindle. I created a cover, and boom, my book was ready for publication.

What message do you want readers to take away from Trouble Down South and Other Stories?
I want them to understand the plight of African Americans over the course of our short United States history. It was not long ago that these events happened.

Any sneak peeks at what is upcoming from you?
I have just published a short story "Missus Buck" on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I am working on four additional short stories that I plan to publish as singles and then later as an omnibus.

What is it that you like to do when you're not reading and writing?

I love to paint. I like to paint in watercolors because the medium is so challenging. I also like to paint with acrylics.

Works by Katrina Parker Williams:


Find Katrina on Goodreads
Katrina's Blog
Katrina's Short Story "Miss Pimmelly's City"

Check out her stories, you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment